Monday, September 3, 2007

Workplace Satisfaction

The front page of the Indianapolis Star today, Labor Day, cites research conducted by Walker Information that reveals only 29% of Hoosier employees are committed to their employers. I'm proud to say, "count me in!" It's taken more than three decades but I finally look forward to getting up and going to work every morning and leaving at a normal time without gilt that I should be putting in at least eight more hours before going home. I can even taken vacation knowing my job will still be there when I return and not be mysteriously deleted from the organization chart.

It's probably shameful to admit that I love my work, my job and my profession--not many people do these days. According to the Star article, Walker found that nearly 40% of employees don't like the companies they work for, "don't plan to stay, and would bolt" if another job came along. That's a terribly sad statistic since most people spend the majority of their lives at work. I can truly attest to how stressful it can be to spend 40+ hours a week in a place where you feel terribly ill at ease and even "shunned." But it's those kind of experiences that make one appreciate the work environment that's welcoming, empowering and gratifying--such as the one I now enjoy.

So today, on this Labor Day as a working person, I'm celebrating my victory of finally doing what I love; with people I respect and admire; and most important, for an employer that strives to improves the quality of life for people around the globe...as well as its employees.

No comments: